CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

No-Smoking!


I hear/see this alot.

And yep, I'm a smoker. Not exactly proud of that but it's the truth.

Somehow, this makes me a deviant; subject to scrutiny and dirty looks.

It's not like I intentionally seek out people that are offended by smoking, and exhale in their faces.

Pretty soon, society is not going to even allow me to smoke in front of my own house!

I have an addiction! And like all other addictions, I need my fix.

How many of my fellow smokers have heard this:

"It's bad for you."

Well no shit! Why do you think I do it?

Now me and my smoking posse at work can't smoke within 20 feet of doors, which is totally understandable. But why is it that when we abide by these rules, we STILL get the evil eye?

Smoking doesn't make me a bad person. In fact, I figure I'm doing society a favor by smoking, because I'd be a REAL bitch without it.

So, please save the lectures because we've heard them all before. Short of a bolt of lightening striking a cigarette from our fingers, it's not going to do any good.

And like any good addict, we have to quit when we're ready to quit.

I told one of my girlfriends that I'd quit smoking after my wedding. So, after the wedding, she said "I thought you were going to quit smoking after the wedding?!"

I continue to tell her that anytime (whether it be tomorrow or ten years from now) after the wedding qualifies as 'after the wedding'.

She calls me a brat.

I'm just not ready to quit yet. Cigarettes are a total crutch for me and although I know I don't need them... I do.
Now, I can agree that smoking is a foul habit; not only is it 'bad for you', I personally can't stand to be around other people that are smoking, if I'm not.

One day, my friend and I were on a smoke break at work, sitting in the 'smoking section' which I consider to be by the ashtray when a woman was sitting at a nearby table, bitching and moaning about how smoking was so sick; disgusting; rude; smelly; and we shouldn't be smoking by her.

"Well, don't sit by the ashtray!" we wanted to yell.

When I go to the doctor and they take my blood pressure, temperature and weight, I'm always asked if I smoke.

"Yes," I reply, sheepishly.

And when I see the nurse going for her "Smoking is bad for you and you should quit immediately or you're going to die" literature, I tell her I've already got it and politely add that I don't want her to kill a tree because I smoke.

I've been smoking professionally since I was 17. You know when you're young and experimental, you take up smoking to look cool and only when with your friends, talking shit and trying to act all adult.

I knew I had a problem when I began smoking by myself.

And drinking goes hand in hand with smoking. They should be served together.

Fortunately for me, I married an ex-smoker. He sympathizes because he knows how hard it is to quit, so he doesn't give me the business.

Except, he likes to tease me occasionally after a kiss by saying "Lieutenant Dan, she tasted like cigarettes," a la Forrest Gump.

Now, I do have to admit that I've obtained a nasty hack and my skin is dehydrated, but that's STILL not going to make me quit.

Maybe someday.

However, all this talk of smoking has made me want a cigarette.

But, I know I shouldn't.

Oh, what the fuck.

0 comments: