CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, February 11, 2008

Married without Children

"When are you guys gonna have kids?"

I figured this question would come up after my husband and I got married, but not nearly as much as it actually has.

I didn't realize that this was the expected natural course of life for married couples.

My parents want grandchildren; my husband's parents want grandchildren.

Hell, I can't even manage my own life!

How the hell are we gonna be able to have kids?!

Would it be terribly wrong if a married couple chose not to procreate? We just got a puppy and that's traumatic enough.

My hubby and I have discussed it and at this point, we think we're just too immature and selfish to have kids at the moment.

It just may not be for us.

I've had the discussion with some friends, long before I was married.

Me: I think having kids is selfish.

Friend: Why?

Me: I don't know, I think people have kids to satisfy their needs or because they feel they have to have kids.

Friend: Don't you think it's selfish NOT to have kids?

Me: No, I figure I'm doing the world a favor.

I mean, first of all, let's face it: Life is a bitch!

Would I really want my child to grow up in this world?

I had a friend that told me she couldn't wait to have another baby (shortly after she'd just given birth) because it was so magical, blah blah blah.

And I'm thinking, okay, so you want to have another kid because YOU want to experience that again?

What, one's not good enough?

I don't know... I think some people have kids to satisfy their ego's... saying here, "Look what I made!"

But, since I've never been in that position, I can only speak for what I know to be true.

I'm sure having a child would be a wonderful experience, but I think I'd be thrown in jail if I had a kid.

I mean, if my kid came home and told me they were being picked on at school (which happened to me often), I'd kick some kid's (or their parent's) ass!

And with having a kid and all those expenses, I don't think we'd have enough money for bail.

As of this moment, my husband and I have a full house: 1 pug (who's gorgeous, by the way); 1 french bulldog (a puppy that's trying to kill me); and 2 cats (who are spoiled, little scaredy cats).

Who knows... this is my opinion now.

I could be knocked up next week and feel completely different.

But for now, we're happily married without children until further notice.

0 comments: