CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Uniforms

I got to thinking today, as I viewed myself in the bathroom mirror...

I dress like a bum. And I love it.

I wear jeans and a hoodie almost every day and today I have a hat on because it's a bad hair day.

I don't know how it could get better than this unless I were able to work in my pajamas. Then I'd really be happy.

But I used to wear some doozy's for work.

My first job was at Carrow's Restaurant in Cupertino.

I was a hostess and wore a God awful uniform: a crisp white shirt with a maroon mid-leg skirt, nylons and white nurse shoes. And those damn shoes hurt like a son of a bitch!

Then my next job was at the Winchester Mystery House in San Jose. THAT was by far the worst ensemble I'd ever worn: another crisp white shirt with a funky collar, and a big poofy, patterned skirt reminiscent of the 1800's.

I still laugh when I think of the time, as I wandered the guest shoppe, dusting, that a customer came up to me and asked, get this... she asked me: "Do you work here?"

My jaw dropped and I deliberately looked down at the full skirt/petticoat I was wearing and back to her.

"Yes... yes, I do... what can I help you with?"

Would one voluntarily wander the streets in such a get-up?

When I worked at MusicPlus in Cupertino, I had to wear khaki pants and a blue shirt... not too shabby.

It was when I worked for the Emporium in Vallco mall that I was finally able to escape the horror of uniforms, and I prefer to stay with my current outfit.

Forever.

F uniforms.

0 comments: